VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY - NOVEMBER 2023 - MARCH 2024
The Canadian Association for Disabled Skiing - Calgary (CADS-Calgary) is a volunteer-based non-profit charity that provides opportunities for people with disabilities to experience the joy of learning, participating, and competing in alpine Snowsports. Participants receive one on one, needs-based instruction from trained volunteers. To facilitate a great experience for all the participants and volunteers, CADS invests in instructor training and the research and development of adaptive equipment and teaching methodology. We offer 8 lessons for students from January to March, and additional training sessions for our volunteers from November to March. Our lesson nights are 7 Sunday evenings with 1 Saturday night in early March, with the exception that there is not a lesson on the Family Day long weekend in February. Lessons are designed to run for 2 hours with your student during the 3-hour window that WinSport is running the lifts from 6-9 pm.
The lesson night being held on Saturday night is our “Friends & Family” night where parents, siblings and friends are encouraged to join our students on the hill. Thursday nights are for “Skills Improvement” and run from December to the end of February. As a Ski/Snowboard instructor, these nights are optional, but an excellent opportunity to learn a new technique to help guide your student more effectively. The Ski/Snowboard Instructor is a volunteer position, with travel required to Winsport for training lessons, Participant lessons, and Mountain Day trip in March.
• Attend as many training sessions as possible December through February.
• Instruct and/or assist other instructors with participants on lesson nights January to March, act as a point of contact for program information with families, caregivers, and students.
• A Volunteer membership fee of $50 is required to cover the cost of your Registration and Insurance with the National organization.
• All lift tickets for CADS events, i.e., Lesson, Training, instructing on the Mountain trip will be covered by CADS.
• If you require rentals, you will be responsible for covering this cost.
• Ensure that all CADS Calgary procedures, policies, and specified requirements are adhered to.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Experience in Snowsports is required. The volunteer needs to ski or snowboard comfortably on green runs and must be able to ski/snowboard from the top of Canada Olympic Park without assistance.
• Friendly, outgoing nature and having the ability to work with a diverse group are an asset.
• Detail oriented, highly organized, and able to set priorities with minimal supervision.
How to apply:
If you are interested, please email to get further information on registration, volunteer information, and the tentative Volunteer Introduction Day.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!